Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home

Friday, December 19, 2008

Piano Man and The Land Like No Other

I'm not a big music fan.

Yes I do listen to my songs, not my songs but the ones I like, and there are a quite a few that I like. But I'm not as such follow music, don't have a favorite singer or a band, neither there is a favorite type of music. I just happen to listen to all kinds of stuff - Sinhala, English, Hindi, Tamil or even Japanese sometimes. Just whatever that I feel good about.

Until very recently, I was unaware of the existence of a guy named Billy Joel. Neither was this song called 'Piano Man'. Recently, at a booze session, somebody (thanks Solomon) introduced me him and this song. Introduce not in the sense face to face, but you know what I mean.

And I fell in LOVE with that song. There's something about it that's very special. I don't know what it is really, it's just... like somebody switched on a switch in my brain and then removed the switch.

Cos I can't get it out of my head now.

So here goes fellas, just listen to it and tell me if you too enjoy it.

(This is not the original video. The original vid on YouTube is protected from embedding, so I had to use this one. If you YouTube 'Piano Man' you'd find the original, which is a nice video)


Then, I'm returning to The Land Like No Other, from The Land of the Rising Sun, tomorrow!
And I can't wait!!!

So, catch you guys (and girls too, of course) in a couple of days!

I'm off.

Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

  1. oooh a new Billy Joel fan!!! Well you gotta listen to "She's Always a Woman" and "Just the way you are" and "innocent man" and pretty much everythingelse! lol:)
    Oh and do enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude - BILLY JOEL? The stuff that classics are made of! i love! :D
    enjoy it, buddy, and check out other stuff by him as well?
    River of Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's real poetry in his music; check out Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, The Stranger and An Innocent Man, for a start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome. :)
    After your mail, I was about to suggest you blog about this. GMTA. Yeah, some songs are like that. One part keeps playing in your head forever and ever, until you are really exhausted mentally. My guess is that in this case it should be the harmonica part or the la da daa da di daa... part :D
    Try listening to Waltzing Matilda. I think it is in the iPod. It won't go away for days....I knew a girl who hated it even when someone mentioned the name.
    Enjoy your vacation. See you next year.
    -Solomon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hei, I know Piano man, no big surprise..
    But who the hell is solomon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m not much of a music-man either, but I cannot believe you didn’t know Billy Joel.

    Anyways, have a pleasant trip bro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey guys, I'm back in SL, after a long time!
    Maaan this is priceless!

    Delilah, it's never late to get started I suppose... he's amazing!

    Black, love that you love his stuff too!

    Solomon, LOL... GMTA indeed! Ha!
    Yeah, that da de de da... part, can't get it out of my head...
    Also, that part, "and he's talking to david who's still in the navy, and probably will be for life"
    For some reason that stuck my mind... maybe that is the truth about many people.. they are stuck in worlds they don't wanna be...
    And thanks mate, I will indeed have fun here... well already having!

    Elephant, Solomon is a good friend.. LOL... you might need to meet him... LOL

    Serendib, I know... but there's a first time for everything, isn't it?
    Still I'm glad I got to know him at least now...

    ReplyDelete