Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home

Monday, October 27, 2008

Memories of a Lifetime...

It's been an hour since I hit the "New Post" button to write this, and still I haven't typed a single word. I'm finding it impossible to collect my thoughts to write this one. So I'm giving up all my attempts to put my thought into a well crafted, well written post. Instead, I'm just gonna let them out and fill this post.

Our cat died yesterday.

To be honest, I knew it all along, I knew it was coming. She was very aged. A little over 18 - yes, you read correct, she was 18. And it had to happen. Still, even though I knew it, the thought that she is no longer there is hard to bear. Because she was very close to me - to us all in fact. Our whole family loved her and treated her with care that we didn't feel she was a pet. She was the heart and soul of our family. She was simply a member of our family...

My mind raise to a day some 18 years ago. Me, mom and bro were sitting on the living room watching TV. Dad, came as usual a bit late, but with a small white ball of fur in one hand which he placed on the sofa and it turned out to be a cute little kitten. Apparently she had barely opened her eyes - maybe a couple of weeks old. She was the most adorable thing I have seen in my life! I fell in love with her that very moment...

Time went by, and we became sort of the best mates there can be. I must have taken her in my arms, groomed and cuddled her countless times. And she loved it as much as I did. She loved falling into sleep on my arms... Among all of us, I was the one she liked the most, no question. I loved that warmth and purring whenever I took her in my arms and groomed her.


This is her, a good 10 or 12 years back. And she looks so crossed
'cos I wanted to pose her for a pic rather than letting her be the
way she wanted. Still I loves this one...

To her credit, she could well be the most 'well-behaved' cat that I ever came across. She would never eat anything - despite however hungry she was - until we gave it to her. Mom would keep the meat in the kitchen for ice to melt and lock the door many a times with her in, yet she never ever once ate it. I cannot explain why, but she never did.

And she used to give my mom so much headache 'cos she always wanted to sleep on my bed. Mom would say it's not good for my health, but I didn't care, and I didn't complain. I loved that warm little ball of fur purring next to me... She used to wait until everyone went to sleep and the lights are turned off, and then sneak onto my bed! And dutifully I kept the secret from mom... :)

And after my A/Ls I stayed in Colombo most of the time, away from home. Came home only for the weekend. Mom says that she would go to my room every night and look if I were there! Whenever dad got angry with her for one thing or another and shouted at her, she would straight away search the refuge in my room. No need to say that I always protected her with my life! Well, not really, but still, you know what I mean...

Then, a day more recently. While trying to eat fish she somehow managed to get a fish bone stuck in her mouth. So we called the vet and he said there is no option but to sedate her and remove it. But he gave her a little too big a dose, and she took a little longer to wake up. And she wasn't well after that, throwing up everywhere. Vet asked us to keep her warm and give her as much water as possible. So I didn't have a single minute of sleep that day - keeping her warm and cleaning up the mess whenever she throwed up... None of us could breath well until she was well again...

But lately, and inevitably the age got to her. Not many cats live 18 years, and I'm happy that she lived all that time a happy life. I'm glad that she didn't have to suffer when she died. She died a peaceful death, and deservedly so... She was one lucky girl!

My only regret is I couldn't be there to see her one last time before she died. But then again, life's not all that fair...

Damn, this post turned out to be a goddamn long one, didn't it? But I feel relieved... Come to think of it, though I am so sad, I think I'm not that upset about it. She had as much a better life as you can imagine. She had the love and care of four people all her life, to the fullest...

At the end of the day, all good things must come to an end, and she is no exception. When I turn back, I can recall all the wonderful moments of her life with a sense of warmth in my heart...

She certainly made my life a better one!

Thanks dear, for all the wonderful times we had...

RIP.

6 comments:

  1. awwwwwwwwwwwww
    im sorry sweetypie :(
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your article is really touching. By the way she at least waited until i reached her to let go her final breather. I think she must've been really upset because u wasn't there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh feeling sad 222222222222...................

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milla, thanks hon. So sweet of you!

    Kaush, yeah, I know...

    Anon, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwww....poor thing.... she looks so cute ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Single Couple, yeah she was!
    Soooooo lovely... :)

    ReplyDelete