Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home

Monday, June 27, 2011

Keeping my Word(s)

Days fly by quite fast these days, weekends even more so. There I was on last Friday getting drunk merrily with the thought of the weekend ahead, thinking how I would relax and before I know it here I am typing this out on a Monday night and wondering how the hell did the weekend go by that quickly. Maybe the world really does spin faster on weekends. If I were an astrophysicist I would do my thesis for the doctorate on that. However I am not one, and I am glad about it for two reasons; a) I have a feeling I might find it difficult to defend that thesis and b) astrophysicists is a ridiculously difficult word to pronounce. I would continually run into trouble whenever I introduce myself to hot chicks and they ask what I do.

However, as said in my last post, we finally did play our first match of the season and it was quite dramatic I must say. For starters it was the first match of the season and it was 2.00 in the morning when we finally located where our cricket gear was, since nobody really remembered who took them home after the last season. Plans were such that we would meet at a nearby place at 7 in the morning, then be at the ground by 8.30 and the match would start an hour later. So staying true to our nationality, we met at 8.30 or something, was at the ground around 11 a.m. and the match was started past midday. The opposition was an Indian team which means they were worse than us, so nobody was there to bitch about us being late.

So finally proceedings went ahead, the match was reduced to 30 overs a side, and our captain A won the toss (that bugger!) and elected to bat. So I opened the innings, and though I did not get my promised run-a-ball 100, I did top score with a 53 not out. It wasn't really a pretty innings, was too rusty, and also our good old Indian friends were nice enough to drop a couple of sitters I offered earlier on. Sweet. So finally we got to 140 with only one wicket to spare before our 30 overs finished, a below par score but considering we were 50 for 5 or something like that it was a reasonable score. Then we leaked 40 off first 3 overs, which is not really you'd want defending 140 but then we pulled them back with some tight bowling and continuous wickets. Finally it came down to 12 off 12 with their last pair in the middle and the bastard hit one in the air straight at me off the first ball of the penultimate over. That son of a bitch. It took ages to come at me, and I was contemplating whether I should take the catch fingers pointed upwards, downwards, or if I should just let it go returning the favor. I finally decided, just in time, that I should go with the third option. I'm generous like that. Oh and it went for a six too. Now only 6 off 11, and the Indian dude thought he too should return the favor which I returned and hit one in the air again, and our teammates were not as generous as me. So that ended the day with a satisfactory six run win to kick off the season.

On a slightly different note, reading one of the articles I wrote for The Score, some of my 'friends' suggested that I should walk the talk and play cricket without a helmet like I said in that article. They were even nice enough to pull out an old photo from my FB albums where I was playing a match with a helmet on. Such nice guys they are, aren't they? However, fear not for yours truly didn't chicken out but did play without a helmet and will do so for the remainder of the season as well. Have that $200 ready folks.

3 comments:

  1. When have you ever met a hot chick and introduced yourself to her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonder why there are quotation marks around the word friends....

    anyway do you have proof of this helmetlessness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) I was pondering on a hypothetical situation.

    2 - a) Because they are such caring and nice and wonderful friends who think nothing but good of me.

    2 - b) Isn't my word proof enough?

    ReplyDelete