Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

In Retrospect

I'm not quite sure about the meaning of the title. However it felt like the right thing, plus I believe it makes me sound intelligent. Which is something very important. Throwing in a big word or two, casually, is a good method of achieving the target. But I had a feeling that you might not notice the fact, hence this opening para. This renders the 'throwing in casually' part null I know, but still.

So, yes. The past year has been one of the absolutely best in my life. Was it perfect? No. Did everything happen the way I expected? Yes, but merely because I expected things to not happen the way I expect. The point is, nothing's perfect and I shall not expect them to be. With that in mind, looking back, all I can say is the year has been nothing short of awesomeness. To start with, I quit smoking for good and now it's been a year. I never really thought I would be able to though I so wanted to. You see, it IS cool, and how can I give up, thought I once upon a time. Wrong. All you need to do is find the right reason, and you'll be fine. However, cigars are an exception. They don't count right?

Then you might know that I love food. In case you didn't, now you do. But I've stuck to a far healthier diet of late, cut down meals in half, added a lot of veggies and less carbs. Believe me, a well prepared veggie meal tastes as good as any juicy beef steak. OK, maybe not, nothing matches that, but still it's almost there. I've always been a fairly good cook if you exclude the first couple of months. The problem with me was I'm very lazy to cook. (Isn't Hogwarts so awesome, with food appearing on your table and all). Not anymore - I've made it fun to experiment with new stuff and all, and things are looking good. Then, I'm a long sufferer of migraine so eventually I gave up of chocolates and coffee, two heavy triggers of migraine attacks. It was shit at first, but I've learnt to live without them, and things seem good.

But it's not just these. Personally, I think I've become a better human being. I've stopped being a jerk as much as I can. I've learnt to let go of my big ego at least at times. That helps. Built up seemingly lost relationships, helped people in need, fixed things I should have fixed long before. And I am glad for all that, way more than I could ever tell.

Doing the right thing ain't easy, but it sure as hell make your life wonderful.

8 comments:

  1. Quit smoking??? Good for you!!! Happy for you!!!
    May others follow you!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an year to be remembered. Good on you for quitting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dan
    The number of "?"s and "!"s do tell me the significance of that.
    :D
    Thanks mate. But I doubt about those "others".


    @Chav
    Thanks mate, yeah it was indeed an awesome year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In other words you are growing into an old man, can't have a cigi, can't eat meat... lol

    kidding bro... good on ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on quitting the smokes! As for cigars...what makes you think they don't count? As far as I'm aware, the health risks are similar to those associated with cigarettes. I don't get the attraction to be honest...cigars are just so pretentious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Nee
    What to do man, wayasata yanakota ohoma thama. LOL.

    @PR
    Thanks buddy! Hey, I know they do count but it's not like I'm gonna have one every day is it? Only occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sach, you're talking like an old man! lol

    Anyway it's great if you're able to uphold the path you chose for yourself. It's really tough giving up a habit, food, and stuff you can't seem to live without but.. 'nothing's impossible to a willing heart!' ^__^

    See.. I've given up on meat about 10yrs back, YM chatting about 3yrs back, anime about half a year back, Farmville about 3 months back.. and manga about.. after 10yrs time perhaps! =D

    ReplyDelete