Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home

Monday, May 10, 2010

I'm back, and so is Cricket!

Hello people!

How have you guys (and girls) been? Doing good I suppose. Damn I have been neglecting this blog of late a lot, for which I feel SO guilty. I mean, hell, this was - and is - an important part of my life and I shouldn't be so lazy to chuck in a post or two every week. But then again, you see, in my defense it was spring holidays and we all know that Blogging is to be done on working days. So you could say that I was just abiding the rules.

Anyway, the spring break which is called the 'Golden Week' here in Japan was a welcome break. I have no idea why it is called such but have a sneaky suspicion that Google might know. Wise fella, he is. Wonder if the feminists out there would threaten me with a lawsuit if I didn't correct myself and call Google a she. Beats me why people want think of all the majestic inanimate things as female; be it a country, ship or a even a car. Oh well.

Getting back on topic. The Golden Week was fun and relaxing. First I had some good long hours of sleep which is a must I'm sure you all will agree. We also had a barbecue and ate so much dead animals that I didn't touch anymore for almost a week. It wasn't just the barbecue; we also played some softball cricket which I regretted the next day so much. After so many months of winter which means doing nothing, it was the first day we really went out and played any sport so the whole body was aching the next day. Oh and the Poker that night too was fun. Wonder how long will it take for me to win my first WSOP bracelet.

And then, yesterday, it was time for some real hard ball cricket. The cricket season here in Japan got underway which was something I was so looking forward to. We traveled to Shizuoka some 200km or so away, and I managed to take a cool shot of Mt. Fuji from the car. She (ahem!) was looking majestic as ever, and see the picture if you're not sure. Anyway, we got there in time - to the ground that is, not to Mt. Fuji - and got to bat first. I was to bat at 3, and was in the middle in the second over. Perhaps we were a bit rusty, lack of match practice or whatever it is but we were soon 40 something for 4 and 76/6 a while later. I managed to hang in and score a satisfactory 91 while we manged to put up a challenging 195 in 40 overs. It was in fact a real good score considering our very good bowling attack and we ended up winning comfortably by sixty odd runs. It is always great to start the season with a win and we have two more games next weekend. However, I need to work on my fitness. After like 75 or 80 runs I could hardly stand, let alone bat. Now I know why Arjuna 'walked' half his runs and why somebody else ran for him half the innings he batted. Wise fella he was.

4 comments:

  1. lol.. Firstly.. Awesome pic of Mt. Fuji! Is it always snow capped like that? *never seen a one without a snow cap* =D

    Secondly Congrats on your win and for scoring a staggering 91 runs! Too bad you couldn't hit a century.

    Thirdly, why it is called the Golden Week, my speculation is that since a lot of holidays fall one after another, they might be thinking it's a golden opportunity for a well deserved break? lol *that wasn't funny, I know* -__-

    Fourthly, remember Chandika Hathurusinghe of the good old days? (hope I got the name right) He used to get cramps 9/10 times when he used to bat, whether on ODIs or Test matches. Maybe he too had fitness issues. *wonder what he's up to now* =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Harumi. I was in the car so couldn't get a better view. That snow cap melts completely during the peak of the summer - usually mid July to end of August or so - which is the only time you can climb it.

    I think Chandika Haturusinghe is an assistant coach of SL team and is doing a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No prob.

    Really? Wow.. didn't know you can climb up Fuji-san. Even our Pidurutalagala seems shorter by 4000 feet or something.. so climbing Fuji might be a real feat.

    oh that's greatta hear. He was a real good batsman to be left out totally from cricket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually it's a relatively easy climb because of the perfect cone shape. Highest point of it is 3776m from sea level, but usually you start climbing from the 5th station of which the height is about 2300m from sea level. Usually it takes about 8 hours to ascend and half the time to descend.

    Knowing your love for Japan, if you ever get here make it a point to climb it. You will remember the view from the top for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete